Australia gives additional US$300,000 for dengue epidemic response

Published on July 3, 2013

Despite the healthcare services now taking active measures to tackle the outbreak of dengue fever, the cooperation of members of the public is still needed, especially in cleaning up the breeding sites of the mosquitoes.

The World Health Organisation in Laos yesterday handed over some essential medical supplies to the Ministry of Health in a bid to fight against the outbreak.

The equipment, worth about US$300,000, was funded by the Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID), through the WHO in Laos.

WHO representative in Laos, Dr Liu Yunguo, handed over the medical equipment and some information, education and communication materials to Minister of Health Prof. Dr Eksavang.

Dr Liu said the Ministry of Health has carried out many activities in response to the dengue epidemic but the funds available are limited.

“Thanks to the generous support from AusAID to help in fighting against the dengue outbreak we can do more but additional funds are required to support the government to achieve dengue prevention and control,” he said.

WHO also provides technical support to help the fight against dengue in Laos.

Prof. Dr Eksavang has advised medical personnel at the provincial hospitals and students at the Universities of Health Sciences to cooperate with local authorities in clearing up the breading sites of the mosquitoes to help tackle the epidemic.

He also urged members of the public to sleep under mosquito nets and to urgently visit a doctor in the nearby dispensaries, clinics and hospitals when any member of their family falls ill.

According to the latest report, a total of 16,437 dengue cases have been reported so far this year and 58 deaths from it have occurred countrywide.

About 10 provinces are currently the most affected by the outbreak of dengue fever including the capital, Vientiane.

Source: Vientiane Times
July 03, 2013